Saturday, July 17, 2010

Too sweet

Yesterday I left a bag of powdered sugar out on the counter. What followed were several moments of hand wringing and belly rubbing. I should have realized something was wrong when Dudley went missing for more than a half hour. So unusual for him. He doesn't respect personal space with anyone and certainly not with me. He was keeping me company while I watched Shutter Island. Melanie promised me it wasn't scary so I was giving it a try. I guess it was too scary for the Dudster though because he got up and walked away. While I sipped my fruit smoothie sweetened with 1 tsp of powdered sugar and tried not to be afraid of the show, I realized it was too quiet and decided to investigate. What I found was an empty bag which had been licked so clean it looked like Saran Wrap and a dog with a few patches of powdered sugar paste stuck to his collar and the tips of his whiskers.

Fast forward an hour and I had one sick puppy. I felt so helpless. I couldn't even get mad at him for throwing up all over the rug in three different places. He looked so miserable. I finally took him outside and sat in the backyard with his water bowl and just rubbed his belly. I thought about loading him into my car and taking him to the after hours animal hospital but then I figured if I ate an entire bag of powdered sugar I'd probably be throwing up everywhere too. We came inside at about 11 and he slept through the night like a trooper. I did set my alarm to wake us up every couple of hours so I could take him outside, but he seemed to rebound.

This morning he was back to his usual self jumping at the door and banging his tail into everything. Poor puppy. No more sweetened drinks for me. I couldn't even if I wanted to. I'm out of powdered sugar.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhh, that's awful! Hilareous, but only because you write it that way. Poor doggie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to stay good on a diet. Leave anything sweet and fattening out for the dog. He'll really come in handy at Christmas-time!

    ReplyDelete