Friday, January 16, 2009

King for a day

In school this month we have been reading many biographies.  It's a nice way to introduce Martin Luther King Day and Presidents Day, and enhance the students' background knowledge of these important individuals.

This week some of the stories have been about Ruby Bridges, Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, and Martin Luther King Jr.  When my student teacher asked the kids to explain why MLK was such an important person one of the kids writes, 

"He was important because he went to church and he was a king." Chuckle. But seriously it is so refreshing to talk to young children who truly have no prejudices towards people of different races and ethnicities.  My class is made up of children with a variety of skin tone, hair colors, and ethnicities.  I have never heard one of them say something unkind about another person because of the color of their skin.  Now, if we can just work on not saying unkind things period that would be a step in the right direction.

It's cute listening to their reactions when you read about how Rosa Parks had to sit in the back of the bus, or how Ruby Bridges had to go to a different school because she was black.  They are appalled.  I know racism still exists, but it is most definitely a learned behavior.  It's up to the adults to set an example of respect, tolerance, and non-violence.

I feel so lucky to be able to witness this historic presidential inauguration.  Even my second graders are excited about it.  I know that they don't realize the true significance of the event but they can feel the anticipation of what is to come.  I know I for one I will be watching and reflecting about how far we've come as a nation.  This moment is profound.


5 comments:

  1. Great post! I am also very excited for the inauguration on Tuesday. I love viewing your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melissa! I can't even tell you how happy I am about Obama. Last year on MLK day, I made the kids watch a documentary, and we read the "I have a dream speech" together. I don't know if they "get it," but I figure, if they're going to be out of school for a day, they can give up a few hours to celebrate the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an amazing teacher. I bet your students parents are pretty impressed with what their kids go home and talk about their perspective on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. I feel so blessed to live during this time of such change. I am excited to see what is in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is SO true that prejudice is a learned behavior. When I try to explain MLK and Rosa Parks to my kids, they just don't really get it, why skin color mattered so much then. I'm glad they don't fully understand it... I want that innocence to stay!
    I really loved the inauguration. I found myself in tears a few times during it.
    Amazing moment -- one of those in history that I think I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Kiley- I wonder how we can help our kids to understand racism, and the effect it has had on our world, without propegating a little of that mentality? Really, now that there is no lifestyle to teach them otherwise, we are the ones putting the idea in their head. I know we need to know history, so as not to repeat the mistakes of the past. But why do I feel so sorry to have to teach them these things? Is there any other way? I don't think there is. I just wish there were.

    ReplyDelete