Thursday, September 4, 2008

Overheard

Many years ago when I was poor and living in Salt Lake City without a car I always said I would like to write a book entitled Conversations Overheard on the UTA. I liked to put my headphones on but not turn on the music and just listen. Oh, the stories. I also employed the use of my headphones at the laundry mat. Thus, prompting the idea for my sequel, Converstations Overheard at the Laundry Mat.

I now have my third title in the installment, Conversations Overheard in the Classroom. Fortunately children are pretty open, or naive, and no headphones are necessary. Here are two conversations from yesterday.

"Boy there sure are a lot of people crying today!"

"George Bush is breaking the law. He's trying to stop the war in Iraq and Abraham Lincoln started the war so that people can be free."

I have no explanation for the crying except to say my usual reaction to tears in the classroom (unless blood, bones, or other bodily fluids are involved) is not unlike Tom Hanks' character in A League of Their Own.

There's no crying in second grade.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I want to hear some exerpts from the first couple of book ideas now- I can't wait for publishing.

    I can actually hear Tom's voice- ha!! "There's no crying in baseball?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a GREAT book! I would buy a copy!!! LOL with the crying. I can hear his voice too. Are you crying?! No. (pronounced more like naow)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you had better be compiling that book. It will be a bestseller when you retire. Or now. You could be making millions of dollars now! Think of it! So, between being a super busy teacher and teaching at the U, too, why don't ya just throw together a book?

    ReplyDelete