Friday, October 31, 2008

Late fees

I have a problem with returning things.  I can't be trusted with a Blockbuster video card.  I only rent from Red Box if I am going to watch the show immediately and then return it that same night.  NetFlix doesn't do me any good because, while they don't charge late fees, they do charge monthly fees so I know I would end up keeping a movie for more than a month and just not get around to ordering a new one.  I can't check out DVDs or CDs from the public library because the fines are too high for late returns but I do like to check out books.  Now that I can renew online and reserve items online I have generally been able to avoid anything more than a 30¢ fine.  The problem came three weeks ago when I noticed I had an overdue book.  I immediately returned the book I finished the previous week and picked up my next book waiting for me on reserve.  Then came October.  This is a crazy month school - wise.  I've got mid-terms at the U., Halloween at school, professional development I have to teach, and of course report cards I must prepare. (This is what I should be doing right now, but I'm having a hard time focusing knowing it's been a week since my last post.  I feel like I've been slacking on the blog.) Anyway, yesterday I get a message from "Conan the Librarian" notifying me that I have an overdue book.  I was very confused because I thought I returned it.  I jump online and realize I returned the wrong one.  So, I attempt to renew What was Lost because I'm only half way through and I am really enjoying it, but there is a wait list of more than 40 people. I now have had a library book overdue for more than three weeks.  I want to finish it but I'm so busy.  I realize a library card is a privilege and the library system only works if people return items in a timely matter.  So, now I've racked up another fine.  My goal is to finish it tonight while I sit in the living room waiting for trick-or-treaters.  I have also come to the realization that I probably won't be ready to read a book for enjoyment until Thanksgiving.  Oh well live and learn.

BTW -- Kiley, I still have your Corel mini casserole dish with lid that I will return (someday) and Amie, I still have your Oprah DVD boxed set and your copies of Night and Bright Lights..... I haven't forgotten.  Long term memory is still there.  It's the short term that prevents me from getting them back to you when I see you, oh, almost every week.

6 comments:

  1. omg, story of my life! i'm so close to being done w/ my book club book but who has time to read this time of the year? hey, next time, if you have a county card, you should look at the city library's catalog, or vice versa...
    p.s. i too am suppose to be doing report cards right now but am (obviously) procrastinating... grades shmades

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm horrific at returning library books. I used to just buy copies of the books I wanted to read because that was cheaper for me than the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in no hurry for that casserole dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am seriously bad at returning things. Hence I have The Host from Melanie for the past 2 months. Have I read it yet.. no. Do I want to. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You totally just reminded me to renew our books online... I'd better do that now...

    ReplyDelete