Monday, August 4, 2008

Pantless in the Park

So I finished Breaking Dawn yesterday -- I think Bella redeemed herself as a heroine, strong and capable, she just needed some time to mature. I was on a deadline to finish because I needed my trunk back. I've been hauling around all of the school things I've purchased over the summer in my car (except for the crayons and glue sticks, I've already done that once, not pretty), and now that my school is open again I planned to drop everything off and work in my classroom. First order of business -- put all the furniture back where it belongs.

For those of you who don't know, I teach in a lovely old school. It was probably built in the late 60s. This was back when they knew how to build schools. I have one whole wall of windows, big bulletin boards, coat racks in the hallway, a sink with a long counter top, and a small teacher work space that I like to call "my office." There are really only two problems with my classroom. First, there are only two electrical outlets in the whole room, so computers, listening centers, telephone, pencil sharpener, CD player, overhead projector, TV, VCR, and fans all have to share these outlets. One of the outlets is located conveniently over the sink so that limits my electrical options. The second BIG problem is my school does not have any air conditioning. The walls are all brick. My classroom has two exterior walls (facing east and southeast) and is surrounded by black top. Basically it doubles as a kiln. The bricks heat up and stay heated all day long. My room usually registers 10 degrees warmer than the outside temperature.

So, today I start moving everything back in place. The summer kids have done a lovely job carpeting the rug and dusting. It really looks nice. After about 30 minutes of pushing and shoving I am drenched in sweat. I probably lost ten pounds of water weight. I say this because as I'm pushing my long table across the room I notice a cool breeze on my knees. This is a little odd because my classroom is in no way breezy and I was wearing pants. At least I had been wearing pants. No, upon further inspection my pants had fallen all the way down around my ankles. Yes, I was pantless at Peruvian Park. Thankfully, I was alone and was able to quickly remedy the situation. So the lesson I have learned is -- tomorrow, drawstring.

5 comments:

  1. Okay Melissa, now I think I peed my pants after reading this! So funny!!! This reminds me of dad's break away tuxedo story after Matt and Kiley's wedding. haha! Hey, let me know if you need help with the set up one Friday morning. I prefer the cool mornings so that my pants don't fall down. This is probably why Jane Fonda preferred the leotard- no chance of mooning the custodians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!! Summer Breeze.. makes me feel fine.. I almost peed my pants too, wait make that almost watched Pirates of Pennzance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. you didn't have to tell ANYONE about that one, but you sacrificed your pride for the sake of our entertainment. What a wonderful woman you are. By the way, I'm glad you commented on Breaking Dawn so obliquely. I was nervous to check your blog. Matt said that on the radio today someone called in and reported that something about breaking dawn was spelled out with plastic cups on an overpass. I shall close my eyes while driving under an overpass from now until I finish the book. Ummm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny! I am laughing at my desk at work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha!! I didn't pee my pants, but I did look up the word obliquely. (I think all math tems have been repressed from my memory.)

    So funny! I'm always worrying about this. I buy guys jeans because they just seems to fit better- other than the fact that they don't go in at the top! I'm forever hiking them up, and wondering when I'll have my hands too full to hike...

    Buying a belt would just be to sensical. Hmmm. Draaaawstring... Yeeeaaaah...

    ReplyDelete