Saturday, August 2, 2008

Breaking Dawn


After a fire up Payson canyon postponed Mel's camping trip, I was able to meet up with her at Barnes & Noble for the release of Breaking Dawn. Yes, we were among the throngs of giddy girls and a few reluctant (or secretly giddy) guys ready to be among the first to devour the final book in the Twilight saga. The evening started at 9:30, followed by an eggs benedict mistake at IHOP, waiting outside B&N for an hour, then baling and going to Walmart where we paid $13.86. (This is now the fifth Walmart blog. Apparently, I'm a regular shopper.) So I got home at about 1:30 and proceeded to read about ten pages. I woke up around 7:00 and read about ten more, then at about 10:00 a.m. I figured dawn had broken and it was time to get serious.

So, the first 150 pages or so are a little descriptive? (She said blushing.) After vehemently defending my love of Bella and Edward on Kelly's blog with the lame defense of "guilty pleasure" I am feeling a little guilty. I was feeling good and justified about my rationalization when the Orson Scott Card authored the article about Stephenie Meyer in the Time most influential people issue. But after reading the short blurb a second time I realized that while he was the author he was exhibiting exceptional journalistic skills by not making his opinion known just reporting on others'. (Still not sure how he feels about her.) But, so far I am going to need to eat a little crow because I cannot justify the fact that this is classified as young adult literature. It is clearly adult.

I'm not so hypocritical that I will close the book and not finish it because I do love the characters and despite all the "relationship analysis" (Matt's words -- not mine) I have to finish what I start -- this only applies to books and not anything like cleaning the bathroom, knitting a sweater, or healthy meal planning. But my Twilight recommendation with an asterisk now includes a footnote and possibly some required reading of the OSC article that Kelly, Carter, and now I, heartily endorse.

7 comments:

  1. $13.86!?!?! Wow, yeah that was $3 less than when I bought it. LUCKY!! I am still reading.. only 325 pages to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I was pretty close to starting this series, but after hearing you and "Kelle's Belle's" take on it, I think I'm gonna pass. Watch- this will probably end up kinda like when I refused to watch "Friends" the first six years, and then started watching the re-runs... I'm such a joiner. Just a late joiner.

    Yeah- you and WalMart... hmmmm.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heck ya! When the girl drove by and told us she already had her copy for less... we were on our way to the car! So fun!!! I can't wait to read the smut, um..I mean the story. I'm only about 50 pages into it. I wonder if I can call in sick tomorrow? haha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you about the book being an adult fiction. This should not be a young adult novel. I have about 100 pages to go, so you can see I did not put it down but still... The thing that I do not like is that you get these young fans and then have a final book like that? That is a little confusing.
    I have gone back and forth of liking this one but on the whole, I do like it.
    Go to allrecipes.com for zucchini recipes! The zucchini orange chocolate chip bread is my fave!
    I am glad you are ok and did not go camping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. zucchini orange chocolate chip? Yum. I might try that tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel - you know have Nicolas Sparks books always have that one chapter. Well, Stephenie Meyer is pretty tame compared to that -- not smut, just not young adult fiction. Happy reading. I'm glad I finished I liked how everything wrapped itself up. Good end to a good non-young adult series. Can't wait for the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anybody know how to edit comments? Maybe I should proofread before I make a post. Ugh.

    This is how the above comment should read.

    Mel, you know how Nicolas Sparks books always have that one chapter?....I'm glad I finished. I liked how she wrapped everything up....Can't wait for the first movie!

    ReplyDelete