Saturday, November 29, 2008

Giving Thanks

I have so many blessings.  

I'm glad to live in a country where I can express my opinions freely, travel across state lines without government approval, become educated, petition the government for change, choose my leaders, and worship in my own way.

I am thankful to have a loving family who respects each other, loves to spend time with one another, can joke without offense, and who will selflessly give of themselves to help another family member in need.

I am grateful for a job that is always new, reminds me of how important it is to be a problem solver, a friend, and to work hard.  It gives me perspective on how to be a good parent and how not to be a good parent.  I enjoy working with young people and old people and everyone in between. 

There are also a few more things I am thankful for:

1.) Smiths Marketplace wasn't nearly as crowded as previous years and sock buying was extremely pleasant.
2.) The longest line we stood in was at Target, but even then it wasn't terrible.
3.) No cashiers over the age of 90 who are named Wanda, but then again, I didn't go to Walmart this year.
4.) The checkout counter in intimate apparel at JC Penny.  No waiting. 
5.) Dudley. I even got him a present, it's one of those automatic, as seen on TV, pet groomers that file his nails without pain.  He might be pain free, but I might be in a lot of pain after I attempt to try it on him.  I'm hoping for the best.
6.) The oatmeal in an oatmeal cookie bowl at Paradise Bakery.  Yum.
7.) The quiche at Paradise Bakery.  Yum, Yum.  Thanks for going halvsies with me Kiley.
8.) Gas that is below $1.60. 
9.) Naps.
10.) Great shopping buddies. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, especially naps.

    You braved the crowds, huh?!! Wow. Someday I'm hoping to train in the art of Black Friday shopping. What belt are you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, she's a black belt. It was fun to go with you guys! I just wanted to see if it was worth doing again, and I think it just might be. But maybe at 7:00am

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa.. you did the Black Friday shopping? Kudos to you! I did that once and I said never again. I value my sleep too much. I didn't really have a bad experience when I went, unlike my sisters. You should ask Stacy about the RC Willey experience they had a couple of years ago. You also have mentioned the Oatmeal with the cookie bowl from Paradise. I have been craving that and need to give it a whirl sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy's RC Willey trip is legendary. I remember when she was telling it Diet Coke came out my nose. The things people will do for a DVD player. Ironically, you can get them now for like $40 bucks. We should totally get together for Brunch at Paradise. You, Stacy, Mel, and I. Let's plan it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Melissa - don't know if you remember me - Valerie Scherer - anyways I found your blog through a bunch of people and I couldn't believe it was you! I hope you are doing well if you want to see what I am up to check us out at: jednvalsmith@blogspot.com I hope to hear from ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha, that's hilarious! no, can't say i'm a huge fan of either twin...
    i love wordle too! i spent way too much time playing on it yesterday. and i'm going to give this class blog thing a go. altho, i don't know how u manage to update it every week. i can barely manage my own
    countdown: 6 more days to go!

    ReplyDelete