Friday, July 11, 2008

Austen fan




So I've been trying to read Classroom Discussions -- definitely not a page turner, but I still have an office to clean and I needed something to distract myself from doing it so I checked out Austenland by Shannon Hale. Lesley gifted me a copy of Goosegirl a while ago which was one book I actually read during the school year and loved. I guess I'm stuck in the young adult fiction section of the library -- it's generally a safe place to read. Anyway, all of the other Shannon Hale "fairytale type" books were already checked out or on hold so I opted for the oh so non-fairytale --wink, wink-- adult fiction read of Austenland. It was super short but full of all the romance and whimsy my single 36 year old Austen fan could wish for. I also finished The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I found it under my bed. I forgot I started that book during the school year I think I was reading it one night and it must have slid off the bed and was nearly lost forever until yesterday Dudley was actually crawling under there. I thought he was stuck, or else he was going for my two gigantic boxes of cassette tapes. I'm never throwing them out too many memories -- I mean if I want to listen to the sound track of Top Gun or a super mix of OMD, REM, or INXS, I'll be ready. So...Dudley was squished and I went to give him an assist, which he didn't need, but fortunately revealed the whereabouts of Hugo.

1 comment:

  1. Funny... I have read all three of those in the last year, too. I really recommend "Enna Burning" and "River Secrets" if you liked "Goose Girl". I actually liked Enna Burning more... It seemed to move along more quickly.

    ReplyDelete