Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Night


I just finished reading Night by Elie Wiesel. What a powerful story. It was so sad and heart wrenching. How can people be so cruel? It was tough to get through. Kind of like Schindler's List. I'm glad I read it but I don't think I'd like to read it again. It's the kind of book you don't have to read again because the images leave a lasting impression. I hope I am never faced with the kind of decisions he had to face in his life. I feel blessed to be living at this time in this place. But I also feel moved to act in some way on the behalf of others. Genocide is still happening today. I think about what goes on in the Congo and Darfur, China and Korea, and who knows where else. There has to be something that can be done to end these atrocities. I might need to dust off my Amnesty International membership and start writing letters again.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Sounds a lot harder to read than the Juvenile Fiction I've been into lately -- Fablehaven, here I come. I'll have to chat with you more about that one...

    ReplyDelete