Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Water Aerobics

Last night I went to water aerobics with my mom. I know water aerobics sometimes gets a bad rap. Just a bunch of old ladies with saggy arms. Yes....but, every time I go, there are usually a couple of young girls with Linda Hamiltonesque arms participating as well (they probably started out old and saggy it's just that they've been so dedicated to W.A. that the end result is getting younger and firmer), so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. Here are the top ten reasons I enjoy water aerobics.

  1. No sweating.
  2. Miss a step - no problem
  3. Chlorine smells better than B.O.
  4. 82 degree swim trumps 102 degree walk
  5. Instructors like to play 80s tunes
  6. When else can I do Russian kicks and suspended squats?
  7. I get a pedicure every time I go. Who knew pool bottoms were so abrasive?
  8. Pain free until you step out of the pool and get that cool jiggly leg feeling, like you worked so hard you might not be able to stand up.
  9. Classes are usually at night so by they time I get home I'm ready to sleep like a baby. A really good, sleeping through the night, baby.
  10. It forces me to complete my full leg shave. Generally that only happens on weigh in days.
So mom and I are resolved to keep up with water aerobics. (Number 8 might be a bit of a fib, right now my hands are so sore it hurts to type. I don't know if that is due to excessive water resistance or excessive blogging. Right now I'll give water aerobics the benefit of the doubt and blame it on carpel tunnel.)

3 comments:

  1. You're not kidding about the leg shaving thing. You should print this list out and post it where it will continue to motivate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I miss the pool! There's not much hope of going in anything but our backyard pool this year. I just can't figure out how to negotiate these three alone, or even with a friend with a kid.

    It's the only kind of exercise that has ever made a visible difference for me! I used to go every single day (took an extremely long lunch hour during the slow summer hours) and I would just make a pact with myself that I couldn't touch the bottom for an hour, and I couldn't just float. One day I was walking by the full length mirror and instead of running past as quickly as possible, I actually took a hopeful peek. I couldn't believe it, but I actually could see a difference! That is about the only time I've ever had a good exercise experience. Since then the only changes my body has seen have been growing and popping babies.

    Uh, my point? I love to ramble.

    ReplyDelete