Tuesday, July 22, 2008

New phones

"Lame phones on top of Classroom Discussions a Retrospective"

So I don't have a digital camera but I do have a MacBook with Photobooth. Yes, that is the Dudster in the background, and a label remnant on the office rug that I fell asleep on a few days ago -- gross. For the last year or so I've known I need to get a new phone. Why pay for caller ID when the caller ID screen doesn't work? Why have a cordless phone when it only can hold a charge for an hour? Why put up with weird silent pauses creating conversation gaps? Why? Because I'm lazy and unwilling to deal with change. A new phone can be a big change. First, I have to get used to the new ring, I have to figure out how to cradle it on my neck, and I'll probably have to invest a little more than the $9 I spent on the first one in order to get it right. Well, now my upstairs phone has taken to hanging up on people. Dudley used to be in charge of that. When I was sitting on the bed he would just walk over to the phone cradle and step on the hanger upper button. Now when people call I have to quickly announce that I'm on my "stupid" phone so no one gets offended when they get cut off four times during our conversation. So my initial delay in buying a new phone has now been magnified instead of purchasing one I'll now need two new phones. Who's stupid now? (Sorry for the use of the "s" word. I know there is probably a class full of second graders who would be appalled. But it is what it is.) So off I go. My new dilemma -- Walmart or Office Max? Who am I kidding? It's definitely Walmart. It'll probably give me new material to blog about.

2 comments:

  1. I hate buying new phones. I need them, but they should just go on working indefinately, shouldn't they? we finally graduated from a CORDED phone in our upstairs to a cordless. the old monstrosity DID come in handy during some of the many many WA power outages, however.

    ReplyDelete