Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Monsoon

Okay, so I didn't realize that my trip to get new phones might actually turn into a near death experience. I was being facetious when I said by choosing Walmart I might get a new blog entry out of it. Don't mess with the blog gods because apparently they are listening.

So it's the first time I've left my house in three days. I've been cooped up devouring The Host ever since Kiley lent it to me. I'm feeling pretty proud of myself because I have 1) showered before noon 2) read a chapter in Classroom Discussions and 3) worked on my syllabus for fall semester. So far it's been a highly productive day -- why not take on the challenge of a few errands? I get in my car to leave. First stop -- the library. I've been driving for no less than five minutes and the heavens open up and literally dump gallons of water on top of my Hyundai. The wipers are going at warp speed. Water is rushing all over the road and all along 45th South the traffic signals have gone out. My quick trip to the library turns into a test of wills -- me versus mother nature. I don't have any of the three umbrellas I own with me so I decide to just put the books in the little drop slot. Just opening the window soaked me up and down. Anyway, I couldn't return without my phones. I mean I had already blogged about it. I was on a mission. So I drive to Walmart and am lucky to get the first spot right after all the accessible slots so I'm still pretty far, but not as far as I could be. I wait for a minute or two realizing that the downpour is not going to stop. I rush into the store soaking myself head to toe. In addition to my early morning shower and my planned late night water aerobics I get a mid afternoon soaking. I am also met with the fantastic news that Crayola crayons are now on sale for 20¢ instead of the 22¢ I paid for them two weeks ago. Normally, I could deal with that kind of disappointment but today it was just salt in a wound. I did find my phones -- a nice little package deal -- two handsets for one low price. I hung out in the store trying to let the storm pass and picked up some energy saver light bulbs to replace the ones that disappeared from my lanterns when the painters came. I got an extra phone cord for the aforementioned lame phone just in case there is a power outage (thanks for the heads up Kiley), I purchased the as seen on TV Ped Egg that is one of Kelly's favorite beauty tools, and I picked up a new pair of flip flops because my sandals were soaked through and I can't stand it when my feet are wet. So, said storm, disappeared leaving nothing but blue sky. The only reminder being downed tree limbs, debris in the road, and of course my soaked clothing. But I was still without a book so I stopped at FYE because Barnes & Nobel was just too far today and checked out their book selections. I got everything on sale. These are the books I got: The Memory Keeper's Daughter, White Teeth, and The Lottery and other stories. Remember The Lottery the one where the people in the village stone the winner, or uh loser. Creepy -- I can't wait. I'm really liking this short story kick. Anyway, now that I'm home it's time for me to dry off, so I can put my swimsuit on, so I can go get wet again.

4 comments:

  1. Ohh! Are you a fan of the Ped Egg? I feel worried because some people haven't loved it as much as I do. I admit, it doesn't catch the shavings as well as I had hoped. And you do need to use some lotion immediately afterwards to smooth everything out. But still, my feet have never been softer. And my sodium is lower because my brother made a crack about using his shavings in the salt shaker and I just haven't felt like salting anything ever since (yes, every member of my family now has one).

    I love The Lottery. Have you ever read The Ones Who Walked Away from Omelas? It has the same kind of feel as The Lottery. Scary and depressing, but well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ped Egg may have changed my life forever. I'm already planning a return trip to Walmart for a few more. I've never read The Ones...but I will add it to my reading list. So far my favorite Shirley Jackson stories other than The Lottery are Like Mother Used to Make and Charles. Good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You love the ped egg? Maybe I should get one for my birthday... or as a stocking stuffer for myself for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete