Saturday, July 19, 2008

Week in Review

Here is a short recap of my week.

  • Monday -- Dinner at California Pizza Kitchen with Lesley. I luv the pear with gorgonzola pizza. Yum. It was fun catching up.
  • Tuesday -- Finished Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger -- I didn't quite like it as much as Kelly did. But I do like the idea of collections of short stories. I can have closure without staying up super late to finish.
  • Wednesday -- went to Thanksgiving Point children's garden. Very pretty. Also, new season of Project Runway. They had to make an outfit from items purchased at the grocery store. My favorite was the dress out of blue plastic cups.
  • Thursday -- Fell asleep on my office floor. I'm still having a hard time finishing this "project." Watched Gev and Kherington get kicked off So You Think You Can Dance. Sigh -- Gev was one of my favorites. So far my favorite dances have been the weird Tim Burton bridal dance with Mark and Chelsie and the Bollywood dance with Katee and Joshua. I have also really liked most of the dances that Tabitha and Napoleon choreograph as well as Mandy Moore. I hate to admit that I like the dances that Mia Michaels choreographs but she really bugs me.
  • Friday -- Crashed dinner at the Spruces. I was fortunate to arrive in time to witness the chipmunk hunt and to partake of the delicious peach cobbler (see family fun blog for details) but I left in time to sleep on my own pillowtop mattress.
  • Saturday -- Just got back from the family BBQ at Danny and Nicky's. It was good to see everyone. Watching all the little kids run around was exhausting. This must be what it is like to teach in nursery -- a calling I am not willing to accept. But, they were so much fun to be around and a fun time was had by all. D & N thanks for hosting the event!

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about Salinger's stories. But she wrote me in response to the comment I left and made a good point: it isn't really the stories themselves that make them so great. It's how he writes them. Which writing is more enjoyable the second time around when you aren't worrying about the plot and can just relax and enjoy the details and the characters. I think I'll try again next year. On paper.

    California pizza kitchen! I so want to try that, except I have a hard time rationalizing the expense when pizzas are so easy to make at home. But I haven't tried them yet, so what do I know!

    Blue plastic cups. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can appreciate Salinger for his ability to spin a tale. He definitely has a command of language. I did like the settings. I could vividly picture the pre- and post-war images in my mind. The impression I kept getting was that if he were a modern day writer the things that he would write would be salacious and shocking yet he would try to make them ordinary and everyday. Was that what he was trying to do in Nine Stories? I didn't appreciate his underlying tone. It probably isn't fair of me to judge him according to what he would have become. I should just stick to what he wrote. I am glad I read it though, it made my Stephenie Meyer guilty pleasures seem a little less condemning.

    ReplyDelete